Bright was a small community located on the rolling farmlands above Lake Lenore. The children attended the one room Bright school at the turn of the twentieth century. In 1907 the school was having a hard time keeping teachers for various reasons. Down by where King’s Ranch is in the coulee by Blue Lake lived a homesteading pastor by the name of Rev. James Moore. When he learned of the issue at Bright he decided to take the job. James Moore used to hike to the school house with his sons, teach, and then return in the evening. The trip took between 2 and 3 hours one way and was several miles, at one point on the trail they had to ascend the coulee wall, daily, just to get to school.
Bright School, 2018
Leave a Reply